While the space on most desktops is less for a table fan, air conditioners are often avoided because of what they can do to your monthly electricity bill. But what if we tell you that you can build yourself a cheap fan at your desk at virtually no cost? We will show you how it is possible to achieve this with very little effort.
There are a few things you need for this project.
1. A desktop case fan/CPU fan: Most of us can easily salvage such a case fan from our old computer casing. In case you happen to have old processor heatsinks, the fan from it can also be used for this purpose. However, make sure that it is a 5V fan. A 12 V fan works as well, but the speed will be slower. The voltage rating is mentioned on the fan, so read carefully before choosing the fan.
2. A USB cable with a USB port: You can try using any USB cable even if it is not working, as long as the cable has a USB port at one end.
3. Wire cutter/stripper: You will need a cutter to cut the cable/wires.
4. A pair of pliers: Pliers will help you twist and wrap the wires.
5. Electrical insulation tape: Electrical insulation of wires is necessary, hence the use of the insulation tapes.
6. A piece of stiff wire: You will need this for a makeshift stand for your USB desk fan. A 20 cm long piece is a good length for this.